#header-inner { width: 900px; margin: auto; }

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blankets and Tea.


I loved this week. I really loved it. My Gramma came up for a visit and it was FUN-understatement! She is my only grandparent that I have left and I'm going to enjoy getting to know her. I'm going to pick her brain and try to spoil her rotten, (even though she always ends up doing most of the spoiling).

She had brought us tons of projects to do and I, being hungry to get over my aversion to the bobbin tried to learn some of her amazing sewing skills. We set up the quilt frames on the deck and went to work. In the end we had made both the boys a soft fluffy blanket and I will forever think of her when I see those two wrapped up in them. Even though those blankets ended up being my favorite blankets I had ever laid eyes on, it was not the highlight. It was a close second.

The process of making them was the actual highlight. As we tied the quilts she told me stories and we laughed and we laughed. Then I flew through the closed screen door and we...laughed. Then we laughed more and I felt my stomach turn into a firm flat object that I actually wanted Justin to touch cuz' it got a workout all week. A good workout.

Those blankets make me feel good. They are attached to amazing memories and I love them.

When Gramma comes to visit we like to do things we don't do in an ordinary day. The boys make her signs and artwork all week. They smoother her with hugs and smooches. She is the only other woman I let my husband kiss:).

When we are driving and see a place off the road we stop the car and check it out. She is always up for a hamburger from the last great hamburger stand and is always up for errand running. We play games and make grape juice and toast with avocados and tomatoes.

This last time we went to go have afternoon tea. Herbal winter mint tea with Cinnamon crunchies to dip. It was hot and delicious. I felt like we were having dessert. Kendall quietly colored and ate a pumpkin cookie and I fell in love with the little store decorated for fall, with teas that went up to the ceiling and the only way to get to some of them was a rolling library ladder. The pastries and petit fours looked so elegant in the case. There was a quiet hum and we stayed cozy while we talked and watched the leaves swirl outside in the freezing cold. A major drop in temperature that day.

For some reason when I drink a cup of hot tea it equals Gramma.


No comments: