#header-inner { width: 900px; margin: auto; }

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Gift.

Nathan has been having a very difficult time going to sleep lately. I'm not proud of the fact that I went against my instincts and let him watch the Michael Jackson, Thriller, video after learning the dance at a birthday party, but what's done is done.

Justin and I felt we had exhausted many of our options and another sleepless night with a shaking boy made me feel so sad.

I dropped Nathan off at school and spoke with his teacher to let her know what had been going on just in case he fell over from lack of sleep. I worried about this situation all throughout the week and though it seems like no big deal, it was all I could do not to think about what trick I was going to try that night and obsess about it. After all, as a mom, we just want to fix hard things and make them better rather than let our kids go through them.

This thinking is a myth. It is the hard things that help us grow and make us stronger, and even if it seems silly to worry about "little things", like kids struggling to make it through the night, Heavenly Father is aware of our struggles and needs.

I felt like I really wanted to take Kendall to the library and even though I was going against the physical needs of my body to get some rest, I took him anyway.

We turned the corner to the children's section and there sitting behind the desk, was my tender mercy, Trish. She happened to be subbing at my library for the first time in 4 months. Trish reminds me of a very tall fairy that kind of floats and flutters around as she walks. Then she starts talking and you just fall in love with that sweet little voice. It's like ribbons of brown velvet going in and out your ears, putting you in a trance. You want to keep asking her questions just so that you can hear her talk and you never, ever want her to stop. Soft and soothing followed by giggles and twinkly eyes behind her fairy glasses.

I unloaded my situation on her and proceeded to go into story time with Kendall. Story time was over and by the time I had come out, Trish had a huge pile of children's books and a movie to help me out with our little dilemma that was taking place at home. Those books, coupled with a few of my own has made a difference. It has sparked new ideas and our bedtime routine, though not back to normal, sure is a lot better. And every time I put Nathan to bed, I think of my little fairy who saved me without even knowing it.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Love it!! So glad the best librarian in the world was there!