Nathan was the only one in our family who had not gotten his tonsils out. Well, he joined the ranks after having 5 constant strep infections this year.
He had the most amazing pediatric team that worked with him. Justin and I were able to change into these big blue sterile uniform outfits including a hat. Then we got to go back into surgery with him. The anesthesiologist had a magic wand that she let Nathan wave around. The doors magically opened, the doctors had a good day, and her coloring book was full of color after Nathan tapped it. As soon as he tapped it again all the pages disappeared. It was amazing!
I held Nathan and as the anesthesiologist told him a cute story and Justin was able to hold the mask and put Nathan to sleep. We kissed him and told him that we loved him. And then we left.
We headed out, changed, and waited in the waiting room. The surgeon came out quite awhile later and the first thing she said was, "Nathan needed this!"
His adenoids were obstructing 90% and his tonsils were huge and deep. Poor thing!
She handed us his tonsils in a jar and Justin took tons of pictures. They were so gross and she was right, they were big!
It broke my heart to see Nathan hurting so bad. I was wishing so badly I could take this away and it could be me. He was in pain! He did not want me to let go of his forehead and was the only way he could sleep. Justin and I took turns crying when he would sleep.
Nathan had a long recovery. He cought a cold as he was healing and was completely miserable. Nights were rough. He would wake up all through the night crying in pain. We felt helpless. He endured a lot and learned that he can do hard things!
Justin was amazing as usual. He slept with Nathan so that I could get some rest. He napped during the day and we all had some early nights.
A few tricks we learned this time around: Popsicle Soup AKA Otter Pops and Sprite mixed to make a slush. He lived on this. Mashed potatoes with gravy is what kept him alive and was all he had for Thanksgiving dinner.
Lots of rest, a humidifier going 24/7, good pain medicine, a warm rice bag, Netflicks (I've never watched so many episodes of Power Rangers in my life!) 12 boxes of Popsicles, new jammies, and tons of snuggles seemed to be our recipe for recovery.




No comments:
Post a Comment