#header-inner { width: 900px; margin: auto; }

Monday, June 2, 2008

The Great Sand Dunes!


Our family went camping this weekend at the sand dunes with 5 other couples from our ward. We had a BLAST! We got some major exercise! Justin gets the iron man award for sure! Our whole family hiked up the tallest dune in the first picture. Justin packed Kendall up the mountain and I helped Nathan up the big hills. It took us about 2 hours because it was a mile high. Wheew!. It was so worth it to see the view of the whole valley. Pure beauty in it's finest form. This picture is our whole family on the top.

During certain times of the year, there is a 100 yard long creek that runs along the base of the dunes. It's perfect for kids because it's only 4 inches deep and provides endless hours of entertainment. Tubing, skim boarding, and sand castle building. It's runoff is from the melting mountain snow so it's really refreshing after playing in the warm sand.
One of my favorite parts was jumping off. It was a very free feeling (I totally sound like a granola).
I love this picture because Justin is in the far back getting ready to jump off the dune. Nathan could not get enough of the soft sand and I just happened to get him in action.

We camped at the Oasis. It was a great experience for our whole family. It was Kendall's first camp out. He loved the tent and being outside all day long! Nathan loved exploring and discovered fuzzy bugs, "cool rocks & sticks", and much to my dismay- deer droppings. These are the sand dunes in the background.


You know me- I love a good bite to eat and I was in heaven with Matt's Dutch oven calzones! I had no idea that was even possible. We also had pineapple upside down cake, smoores, & orange french toast. Those extra 5 pounds? So worth it!

The end of the trip? Priceless! The boys zonked out the entire way home and that gave Justin and I an opportunity to play our favorite game: "Goals for the next 5 years"! Nerd alert!

11 comments:

Cardon Family said...

That looks like a total blast!!! How fun would that be! Doug would love to take the boys there and they would be in heaven too! I love that picture of Kendall with his rosy cheeks totally zonked out!!! too cute!!

Tamera said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun, I am so jealous! Love all the pictures.

Elisha and Scott said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Let us know next time you go. We'd love to do it before #2 arrives.

Rachael said...

I looks like you guys had a blast! You are much braver than me to take the boys camping! I bet the had the time of their life!

Niki Carter said...

FUN!!!! I love sand dunes! Great pictures! I love the one of all of you!

Melissa said...

That looks awesome!! Kendall's face in those pictures are priceless. He is too sweet.

KTLADY said...

HOW FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kristina said...

ahhh, so fun! I cant believe how big your baby is already! he is scrumptious!!

Leah Finch said...

So much fun!!! I miss you! We need to get together!

Rachel Clare said...

Oh my gosh- how fun is this??

Angie said...

How fun! I have been wanting to go there for ages. It looks like you had a blast!