#header-inner { width: 900px; margin: auto; }

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Road Towards Farmington

Thanksgiving 2013 was really amazing this year.  We loaded up and the Littleton crew drove down to Farmington while the Chandler crew drove up to meet us there.  We almost had every family on my moms side there and that made it really special. 

It was crisp and freezing.  At one point we were driving and the windows started to freeze with a giant frost spreading rapidly all over the side windows.  We drove down into an open valley and every living thing was covered in a white sparkly frost and looked as though it could snap in half if you flicked it.  I glanced at the thermostat and it said -4.  No wonder. 

The drive is so familiar and the closer you get to Farmington, the excitement level seems to rise.  Nostalgia rinses throughout my body.    There is something about going home.  We had a conversation with Aunt Tammy and Uncle Sam about "deep home." It's been about 16 years since I've lived there but it really is "deep home."  I think strong roots are planted there because my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and good family friends helped raise me.   I remember all the little side streets and short cuts.  Houses are the same and the Indians still look weathered, tired, but are friendly.

It's always great to get back and show Justin and the kids little treasures hidden around the town.  We had a chance for Doug and I to take our families to "Fat Man's Misery," a little nugget of adventure hidden in the canyon that Doug spent many times there.  It's walls of stone and sand that opens up into a cave fit for a party.  Soft sand and fire wood greet you along with a few empty beer bottles and colorful expressions on the walls. 

It's fun to see what is different but I love all that is the same.

No comments: