#header-inner { width: 900px; margin: auto; }

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ordinary Days

Today was nothing unusual or earth shatteringly exciting but I want to remember it. I want to remember the feelings I have as a mom at this moment.

Got the kids up for school, looked outside and saw that we were covered in an icy white snow, the kind that muffles out all noise.

I should have made them a hot breakfast to help warm them up but instead, I tossed bowls on the table and filled them up with cold cereal.

I started an hour before we left layering the boys up for the frigid high of 19 degrees outside. I must of asked 45 times for each of them to get their boots and gloves on. Very Cheerfully. One minute before we were to leave...no boots or gloves on. My cheerful tone turned into the drill sarg and my eyes were bugging out of my head. That really got things moving.

I was excited to be Kendall's helper at school today. We had our snack picked out and on the counter. Feeling the pressure to get to school on time with the icy roads got the best of me.

I noticed that at our first stop for carpool, I left the snack at home. My friend came to the rescue supplying me with popcorn and bananas.

I dropped off the precious cargo seconds before the first bell rang and left dodging mini vans and cars spinning out all over the roads.

We were 30 minutes late getting to preschool and I had the worlds wost headache that has been lingering for a week. Driving tension escalated the frontal lobe pain. I popped in some Advil and we headed in to preschool greeted by 6 very LOUD and happy kids.

School went great and I tried my best to sing with my voice that has been gone for a week. The teacher asked me to sing a solo. Last minute. Silent night. Oh well. I couldn't say no to the four year olds who were staring at me and the music already playing. I've embarrassed myself worse so i went for it. I even through in some fake vibrato at the end.

Kendall and I left and headed over to the market to get the bumper crop on sale. Blackberries. 77 cents a clam shell. I stocked up and we ate berries and cream.

Kendall fell asleep and I thought that was a great idea. So we both slept. All afternoon. And I didn't feel bad about the tornado of junk spewed all over the house and the cereal bowls still on the table. At least I was showered and dressed, right?

I went and picked up Nathan from school and came home to Justin and a clean house. He was cheerful and happy and instead of the mom setting the tone for the evening, it was him.

I loved today. I loved the people who were part of my day. In between the Martha, there was the Mary. Phone calls, and visits and 4 year olds. It was perfect. Well, sort of.




No comments: