Family has always been his passion but inside he has a quality that can't help but burst through his body. The ability to create.
Some of the best doctors in the nation stood over his limp body and for 18 long hours, the team of 16 doctors extracted a benign brain tumor, the size of a lemon, that was pushing on his lower right side of his brain and brain stem. That team of doctors saved his life.
His journey was just beginning. We were just starting to see how strong this man really was. He had many trials and hardships to overcome. First, the physical trials. He lost his hearing in his right ear, his facial nerve was destroyed resulting in paralysis on the right side of his face. A paralyzed vocal cord nerve made it impossible to talk and swallow. He had a feeding tube for 3 months to ensure he would be getting nutrients that would make it possible for his body to heal. The tumor was pressing so hard on his brain stem that he could not walk. He was completely numb on his entire left side of his body making it impossible for him to get back to his occupation, woodworking.
Then the unthinkable happened. He was able to reach inside himself and with the help of Heavenly Father, he was able to overcome many obstacles. Little by little, with many surgeries and help from speech and physical therapists, family and friends, he was able to retrain his body. He learned how to talk and swallow again. There he was again at mealtimes joining us at the dinner table for mom's home cooked meals and his occasional favorite, apple pie.
He was able to compensate for his loses. His left side, (he is left handed) had learned to feel through pressures, ways to hold a hammer and a drill. His balance improved. His strength increased. Long minutes turned into long days and long days turned into long weeks. His body healed. He grew physically, mentally, and spiritually. He did not only survive, he thrived.
As soon as he was able, he started to build again. Wainscoting, decks, kitchens, mouldings, base boards, bookcases, fireplace mantles, etc...
His brother Doug, then gave him the opportunity to challenge himself and push his limits. He was given a dream and it was up to him to see if he could make it come true. The chance to create something beyond the imaginable. He did the impossible before, could he do it again?
Still numb on the entire left side of his body, he headed down to Arizona, 12 hours away from his beloved sweetheart, 5 winters, thousands of hours later, and in a humble carport he transformed into a make shift shop, he built his brother a library. A library that words cannot describe.
This is his "shop".
29 comments:
Isn't it amazing?! So beautiful! Dad is one talented, gifted human being!
Unbelievable! All I can say is that they better never move!!! That is beautiful! I didn't realize all that he went through. Wow!
Wow Alisa! I had heard you guys talking about it, the pictures are amazing! Is he finished with it then?
That is SO beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen anything like it! Wow!
He is an unbelievable human! The Library is a real treasure and someone like Architectural digest needs to see it. What a journey he has had and such a great man because of it! Your family has been an amazing example of strength and support.
Love you!
Alisa, I just happened to be blog hopping today and I'm so glad I came across yours. Your dad is such an inspiration. I'm all teary eyed now. :-) My husband has always looked up to your dad with the greatest admiration!. You have an amazing family!! The library is absolutely gorgeous.
Oh My GOSH!! Alisa, it is soooo beautiful! I'm so glad I saw it on facebook and popped over to look. I have posted it to my families web-site. I am sure all of them will have tears in their eyes as they read it, just as I have. I Love your parents so much, and your dad is absolutely on of the most incredible examples of courage, faith, hope and endurance that every lived. Thank you so much for sharing!
amazing!!!! thank you for sharing, proud daughter as you should be. Loves to you all!
Wow, that is truly amazing...both the story of your dad and the beautiful library he created! Thanks for sharing this sweet and inspiring story! The library is beyond gorgeous!!
blessings,
melissa
So amazing! what an inspiring story. just wonderful.
Wow. A miracle indeed. Such purpose and passion. Thanks for sharing.
WOW! that is truly amazing- the story & the library. Thanks for sharing! and it DOES belong in a magazine
Oh my goodness that is GORGEOUS!!! Inspiring story!! Thanks so much for sharing! I came from a tweet by 'The Inspired Room'
Absolutely wondrous! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
I am utterly in love with this library.
But even more so the story behind it.
Thanks for sharing!
(Hope you don't mind, but I linked to this post on my blog so my 3 readers can enjoy it, too! http://krysworld.blogspot.com/2010/02/library-to-dream-of.html)
Alisa- Thank you for sharing. As you will know our family feels as if we are part of the Cardon family! We have loved each one of you and have such tender feelings, appreciation for our relationships, and complete gratefulness for the ways in which you have touched our lives. We know of Jimmy's miracle. We have experienced it first hand. I personally am so grateful to have rubbed shoulders with both your mom and dad. For not only has your dad experienced miracles in his life but also your mom. She is one of the strongest, loyal, spiritual and beautiful women I have ever known. Your father has withstood many trials and has come out conqueror. We love you all.
Cindi Webb
What an amazing story and an amazing library! I'm so glad he's back home with you guys now. We miss you guys!
Oh my! Absolutely breathtaking! Words cannot describe how beautiful that library is! I saw your comment on Today's Creative Blog and hopped over. By the way, your family photo at the top made me laugh out loud! Too cute!
So awesome! Thanks so much for sharing those details and photos. Your dad is incredible in so many ways.
That is amazing! He is very talented. Then I saw his shop...I can't believe he was able to create something so amazing with those few tools. Thanks so much for sharing. I would love a library like that!
Wow. Wow. Wow. I don't even know what to say. It looks like a library in a beautiful restored million dollar mansion. I mean, wow, that dad of yours has some incredible talent. Can you just give him a big 'ol squeeze from me? (I know you don't even know me.....but that man needs another squeeze.) Thanks for sharing!
Ashley
P.S.....your header CRACKS me up!! :)
I love it! I was awestruck when I saw it last year - it is truly inspiring! I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face, thank you for sharing... Love Leah
Absolutely amazing!
I have a book review blog and do a feature called Sunday Shelves. Would you mind if linked over to this post? I think this story deserves sharing. Please check out my blog and see if you are ok with this.
http://owlforya.blogspot.com
email me at foltzsfantasticbooks at gmail.com
I just read about this through Cym Lowell's blog - this is such an amazing story and man!
I read about this at The OWL and I am amazed. THis is every book lovers dream library! I can't imagine the transformation from a carport to this...This looks like a library in a museum...What a journey! Please let him know there is a big clogging community that is impressed with the obstacles he overcame and his talent.
Let's forget about the fact that your father is numb on his prominent side, that aside, that library is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! The fact that your father built it by hand with his numbness makes it spectacular! That is one beautiful library. And your father has an incredible talent.
(I found this post via The O.W.L.)
This is gorgeous! And what an amazing story!
I blogged about and linked to your story!
Post a Comment